Brian Tyge Cawthon
Dearborn, MI 48124
Be part of a team, that uses kaizen and kakushin philosophies enabling my employer to surpass its own internal goals related to costs, quality, timing, production and services, while allowing me to develop my professional skills.
"Do it once. Do it right".
I am very passionate about the work I am involved with, strongly believe in kaizen/kakushin philosophies and even though we may have individual tasks, at the end of the day, it is the team that makes the project successful.
Keeping current with all technologies (IT, Manufacturing, Designing, Material, etc.) is challenging, interesting and enriching. I do this by reading articles and being involved with "on-line" communities that consist of people from all walks of life and regions of the world such as MIT, Stanford, UM, Open-source, SME, SAE, NASA, etc.
Over 20 years of experience consisting of a vast range of skills gathered through working in the Americas, Europe and Asia. These include but not limited to; Co-founder of a consultant company, Manufacturing Processing Engineering, Product Design Engineering, Regional Systems Analysts (Operating Systems, Hardware, Networks, Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM), Product Data Management (PDM), Databases, and Web base applications, databases), Project Manager, Project Architecture, Supervisor, College instructor/advisor, working with Open-source community.
Ford Motor Company, Design Engineer, Support/System Analyst, Project Management, Supervisor: 08/89-Present
Prime Computer, Inc., Senior Regional Software Analyst: 02/85 - 12/87
CADPRO, Self Employed, Consultant, Systems Analyst Engineer: 12/87 - 08/89
Henry Ford Community College, CAD Instructor/Advisory Comm. Member - Part-time: 01/85 - Present
The Budd Company, Industrial Engineer/System Administrator: 10/82 - 02/85
Through reconfiguration of applications we were able to produce savings of $321,000/year.
$1.2MIL Budget. Developed and Managed budgets for research, hardware/software architecture, training, licenses and head count for the testing/certification, support and release of Alpha, Beta to Production applications used by the Ford Motor Company enterprise and its' suppliers. Reduced distribution timing and costs from 6 months $150,000/release (tapes) to 4 weeks and $50,000(CDs) to current of 24 hours minimal costs (electronic).
Increase uptime and reduced support costs through established standardized hardware, software and system operating procedures such as, operating systems, applications, configurations, networking, security, disaster recovery procedures and data exchange formats throughout the Ford Enterprise and its' suppliers base.
Reduce 25% costs of hardware and software by having vendors benchmark against each other in a control lab environment with strict guide lines.
Supervised 12 people that supported 8,000 CAD/CAE/PDM users within Ford and over 300 Ford suppliers.
Primary Leader, planner, interface and supporter of applications used for Ford and its' Suppliers. Developed, tested, implemented and supported requests to improve these applications. Savings of $650,000 our first year.
Team member that managed and evaluated CAD/CAE/PDM applications within Ford.
Selected by Ford Corporate Design Chief Engineer and Executives to participate on the "Product Cycle Team". The objective of this team was to improve vehicle cycle time from concept to Job 1. Many of the findings are implemented today.
Contributed to "Manufacturing Processes". Book used by the Manufacturing Engineering program at HFCC
Partnership with Ford Motor Company in the Ford Computer Graphics Systems and Training Support Group to organize, implement, and install 8000 systems (hardware, operating systems, network and applications) worldwide (Americas, Europe, Asia). Provided on-site installation, support and training.
Consultant for Ford and supplier facilities to verify adequate infrastructure. (hardware, power, air conditioning, space, lighting).
Evaluated new revisions of operating systems, Ford developed applications and third party applications to maintain a high standard of data integrity and integration.
Designed and engineered the F-150 (PN96) truck interior and exterior surfaces using the Ford CAD tools.
Analyzed, developed and implemented time standards for manufacturing processes. CNC and machinery specialist.
Developed engineering studies of manufacturing procedures such as "people power" vs. robotics. Used statistical methods to improve productivity and quality.
Project Manager, supervisor and developer web interface database inventory control for Scientific Solutions
Ford Management Training
Dun and Bradstreet Writing for Engineers
CATIA V5, PDGS, ICEM, I-deas, AutoCad, Pro-E, VPM, TCe
FreeBSD, GNU/Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, IBM-AIX, OS/2, Mac OS X, Windows, Apache, AOL Server, WebSphere, Postgresql, Oracle, DB2, WEB technologies (W3C).
Presentation and Negotiation Skills:
- Negotiated talks between Ford management and the UAW. Walton Hills, OH
- Demonstrated CAD/CAM/CAE/PIM products to V.P., management, designers, engineers.
- Consultant to Ford Motor Co., hardware/software vendors and suppliers. Developed and designed various system architectures.
- Highland Bagpipes - Maker, Gold Medalist, Composer, Instructor, Entertainer. Performances for President Ford, Senators, 5 Star Generals, Disney World and other dignitaries.
- 1982 - Wayne State University - B. S. Manufacturing Engineering
- 1979 - Henry Ford Community College - A.S. Manufacturing Processes - Dean's list
Ford Motor CompanySupervisor - C3P Testing and Certification: 04/97 - 01/2004
Supervisor - Customer Support: 04/94 - 04/97
User Planning and Support Analyst: 04/93 - 04/94
Product Design Engineer - Corp. Design Center: 04/92 - 04/93
System Analyst - Corp. Design Center - 08/89 - 04/92
- Developed, implement and supervise the service level agreement for production support of CAD applications.
- Develop, implement and manage hardware/software architecture for the testing and certification of CAD/CAM/CAE/PIM products used by the Ford Motor Company enterprise and its' suppliers.
- Develop budgets to support the daily operating costs such as hardware, software, training and headcount.
- Verify applications are tested and comply with Ford General Auditors Office security requirements.
- Coordinate the different divisions within Ford to standardize on the installation of operating systems, applications, configurations, networking, security for clients and servers.
The lab is used to emulate Ford production environments and has the ability to simulate future production environments with regard to hardware, operating systems and applications. Other facilities managed for IT testing are located in Europe and Asia
- Provided CAD/CAM/CAE/PIM support for Ford Motor Company during Alpha ,Beta and Production software releases.
- Managed the piloting of CAD applications within Ford (PDGS, CATIA, Pro-E, SDRC, CV, AutoCad, etc.).
- Developed and implemented operating system and application security tools to meet Ford General Auditors Office security requirements.
- Developed, implemented and managed the outsource of IT support.
- Coordinated efforts of programmers, users, hardware vendors and Ford suppliers to simplify computer system operations and exchange of data.
- Established standard computer system operating procedures.
- Developed programs to reduce down time of systems. This resulted in greater productivity for system equipment, operational support and product engineering.
- Designed and engineered the F-150 (PN96) truck interior and exterior surfaces for this vehicle using the Ford CAD tools.
- Selected by Corporate Design Chief Engineer and Executives to participate on the "Product Cycle Team". The objective of this team was to improve vehicle cycle time from concept to Job 1. After eight months, the team presented the results to the Vice Presidents of Ford. Many of the teams' recommendations are being used today.
Co-Owner - Systems Analyst Engineer: 12/87 - 08/89
- Partnership/contracted to Ford Motor Company in the Ford Computer Graphics Systems and Training Support Group to organize, implement, and install 8000 systems (hardware, operating systems, network and applications) worldwide. Provided on-site installations, support and training.
- Consultant for Ford and supplier facilities to verify adequate infrastructure. (hardware, power, air conditioning, space, lighting).
- Evaluated new revisions of operating systems, Ford developed applications and third party applications to maintain a high standard of data integrity and integration.
Detail Accomplishments - Prime Computer, Inc. - Troy, MI
Senior Regional Software Analyst: 02/85 - 12/87
- Provided support for hardware, operating systems, software applications throughout the USA, Europe and Asia.
- Evaluated new hardware and software components. Made recommendations for improvements to both Prime Computer and its' customer engineering development team.
The Budd Company - Rochester, MI
Industrial Engineer/System Administrator: 10/82 - 02/85
- Analyzed, developed and implemented time standards for manufacturing processes.
- Developed engineering studies of production procedures such as "people power" vs robotics. Based on these studies, implemented changes to improve productivity and quality.
- Developed and implemented statistical methods to improve quality of stampings and processes.
- Responsible for budgeting, configuration and updating hardware and software.
The Henry Ford - Tour Guide/Sawmill operator/St. Nicholas
Henry Ford Community College - Machine Repair - Learned from Ford Trade skill graduate Mr. Puzzilo
Fairland Center - St. Nicholas
Computer Numerical Control (CNC) - consultant/programmer/operator